Nat Friedman CEO, Xamarin
Nat Friedman, CEO Xamarin
Nat Friedman is the CEO and Co-Founder of Xamarin, a platform that provides development tools to build and test native mobile apps. Xamarin is a Lead Edge Capital portfolio company. Prior to Xamarin, Nat was Chief Technology and Strategy Office at Novell, an infrastructure software provider. Nat started his career as the CEO, Co-Founder, and VP of Products of Ximian, a company that provided application software for Linux and Unix.
Summary Notes on Building Culture
- Best practices
- Hiring rule: ‘Maybe’ means ‘No’ – when unsure about a candidate, don’t take a risk
- Apply the Layover test: if you were stuck on a 5-hour layover, would you be psyched to spend time with this person?
- Provide ability to take salary or scale down with more equity
- Enthusiasm can overcome a lack of experience or other deficits
- Maintaining Culture across multiple offices
- Be disciplined about getting everyone together regularly both online and in-person
- Do not be exclusive, keep discussions or big decisions online
- Xummit – Xamarin Xummit: An annual company retreat